Overall, a great weekend. Event 8 of the 9 events we’ve run for No Rest of the Wicked, and the eighth that I’ve attended.
Many positive points:
- Getting paggered by Phill on a combat run because I ended up between the crew and the players as they tried to escape was frustrating and fun at the same time. There’s (now) a realisation that I forgot I could VANISH out of that situation, but being picked up by a player instead of being the one picking someone else up was an interesting change.
- The banter between Jaxx and Orpheus was awesome
- Crumpets are crunk!
- She’s got a gut full of dynamite and a booty like POW!!!!
- Jaxx dying after Orpheus specifically told her not to led to the interesting RP post-resurrection of “what was the one thing I told you not to do?” “you told me not to fall over.” “and what did you do?” “I went boom.” “and then you fell over.” “in lots of pieces.” “but you still fell over and I told you not to do that…”
- Engaging with PCs was good. I managed to get into the post-timeout social RP on both nights, and that was a lot of fun. I kinda wish I’d swapped to Trysten, but being there as Orpheus was a lot of fun, and I wanted to do a complete costume swap for Trysten to minimise kit confusion.
- “Symmetrical circles with no corners” – enough said
- Working out how you can have a non-symmetrical circle with corners that’s still a circle
- The labyrinth and the astral fight encounters were amazing
- Sneaking/dancing around as Or-fae-us (the half-Harlequin, half-Spectre illusion) was fun
- The reaction from players as the Aressiyans powered up their EL wire simultaneously was brilliant – it’s like I planned it…
- The zero-crew encounter that just kept going. 9 players and me in a closed room as they poked things and investigated what they did. That was fantastic.
- Using Pyro’s fiery explosion to light my cigar
- Arborian frisbee
- Tree climbing!
- Getting some good feedback about my prototype deck timer app was pretty awesome as well.
Some negative points:
- Not being able to get time off work meant I didn’t get there till after time in and it was nearly 9 before I actually hit the field.
- Apparently I need to make Orpheus and Trysten look more visually distinct as a few people didn’t realise I wasn’t just playing Orpheus on Sunday even though I’d completely swapped kit
- Orpheus: Eye bionic, black tactical vest, black combats, pistol on left thigh, armour, shotgun
- Trysten: Arm and neck plugs, black bracers, black sleeveless shirt, black military jacket, pistol on right thigh, buckler and power sword
- Rob’s suggested that switching to the velvet jacket rather than the plain one might help, but I’m looking for more suggestions on how I can switch it up and create a more visually distinct image for the pair of them
- Having players wanting to do stuff and not being able to run anything for them because there’s no crew available is incredibly frustrating
- Didn’t get much chance to get someone to hire some Knight Titans looking for some action
- I’m running out of coherency to write good things about the event!